Social media crackdown continues after siege of US Capitol

Social media platforms are continuing to crackdown on fringe groups and conspiracy theories following last week’s deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol

LONDON — Social media platforms are continuing to crackdown on fringe groups and conspiracy theories following last week’s deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol.

Twitter said Tuesday that given the events last week in Washington, D.C., where a mob of pro-Trump loyalists tried to violently storm the Capitol building, it was taking action against online behavior “that has the potential to lead to offline harm.”

In many cases, a single individual operated numerous accounts, driving up the total number of affected accounts, the company said in a blog post.

“These accounts were engaged in sharing harmful QAnon-associated content at scale and were primarily dedicated to the propagation of this conspiracy theory across the service,” the company said.

Facebook said late Monday that it will begin removing from its Facebook and Instagram platforms any content containing the phrase “stop the steal.” Trump and his supporters have deployed the phrase to push false claims of voting fraud.

Facebook said that it is still allowing “robust conversations” about the election’s outcome. “But with continued attempts to organize events against the outcome of the US presidential election that can lead to violence, and use of the term by those involved in Wednesday’s violence in DC, we’re taking this additional step in the lead up to the inauguration,” executives said in a blog post.

The company said it may take some time to “scale up” the new enforcement measure but it has already removed a “significant number of posts,” without giving a specific number.

———

For all of AP’s tech coverage, visit https://apnews.com/apf-technology

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*